Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, Discover Card!

This afternoon I put 4 envelopes in the mail. Each envelope contained a cashier's check in the total amount owed to each of 4 credit card companies. The combined amount was just over $2,000.

Yes, we are out of credit card debt and we've cut up our cards.

BUT, we're going to keep one card with a limit big enough to buy airline tickets, or a set of tires, or some other unforeseen expense, but small enough to pay off within three months.

Whew. Feels good! Now we have to buy Kevin a truck, which will require financing. I know, it's like slaying an orc only to turn around and face an uruk-hai (thanks to Burb for technical information), but at least when you make payments on a truck you can see and drive what you're paying for. I have no idea what I'm paying for when I make a credit card payment--gas? That fabric I bought last year? The thrill is gone.

This weary debtor is beginning to see the sun!

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Good for you guys!

And, hey, isn't automobile debt considered to be good debt? At least it is (as you say) tangible debt.

I am considering reducing us down to one credit card again. We got the second one a while back so I could build up my own personal credit history. (I didn't even have a credit card until T & I got married.)

We might go back to one just for simplicity and to maximize the bonus points/cash back/rewards all into one fountain. Besides, our American Express Delta connection isn't making us fly more than we would anyway--and Delta is probably going backrupt soon, besides.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home