Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Quickie Update

1. Just 6 more payments to go to flat-out own 18 acres in central Missouri. That's just under $2,000! Not bad. Feels good!

2. Getting ready for the big Fall Party tomorrow. Kevin and I have been working the last two nights to get everything cleaned up and cooked and ready. Seems like a lot of prep for a party--and it is--but it's just a little more than what we would normally do (mow, clean the house, make dinner). I guess that being on a time schedule makes it seem like more--and the fact that everything has to be spiffed up at the same time. It all has to come together, man. And we have to keep the damn chickens off the porch for a day! There's a scene in The Color Purple where Whoopi's abusive husband and his farm is going to hell without her around. They partially illustrate this by showing chickens running all over the place--even up on the porch!! Well, winter is coming on and we just happen to have a covered, south-facing porch that is very inviting to chickens. And chicken poop. Our ranch is going to hell. Oh well.

3. We're definitely almost ready to meet Mark. My nesting behavior continues as I strive to get the Big Cleaning done so I can spend my time off getting to know Mark and getting ready for Christmas. I say "almost" not because we're not excited--we are--but because we have nothing for him! No clothes, no bed, no diapers. If I gave birth today we'd be scrambling! Still, it's not so daunting. This kind of stuff comes together quickly.

4. Speaking of Big Cleaning, I finished cleaning out my kitchen cabinets the other night. What an odious chore! We have a mouse problem. I really hate mice. A lot of people think they're cute and even make PETS out of them! They picture mice as a bunch of Stuart Littles running around in plaid vests. They're not. I have discouraged my child from watching that ridiculous movie. If I fill him with hate for mice, I will be pleased. They are filthy, quickly reproducing rodents that poop and pee all over your kitchen towels, your utensils, your plastic wrap. They eat your candles, ruin your work gloves, and transfer entire bowls of dog food from the dog dish to your tool drawer! They die in traps and are quickly forgotten, only to be found in a half-decomposed state, forcing pregnant women to overuse bleach in an attempt to restore some sanitation and freshness to a normally lovely kitchen. I hate them. I started hating them when I lived in my cabin and they turned a perfectly good 5 lb. bag of flour into 4 99/100 pound of flour with a couple of turds in it, or, in other words, garbage. I'm serious--there was an entire bowl's worth of dog food in my tool drawer! And they managed this in a couple of days! Kevin just thought Dottie was really hungry.

5. That's it! Have a great beautiful autumn weekend!



2 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Sounds like it's time for some interspecies communication. Wouldn't it be better for all of us fellow-creatures to talk things through, rather than burn up all that energy by hating Mr and Ms Mouse and all the little Mouses? Deep down, mice understand the need for boundaries. If we just reason with them, openly and honestly, asking them in a normal tone of voice to stay out of the flour and the dogfood, they will hear you.
Have a nice day:)

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're it!
http://www.xanga.com/RikDowntown

check my bliggety blog if you wanna play.

heard your party was the bomb-diggety. sorry i couldn't be there, and thanks for understanding why. i have no clue when i'll ever have time to drive to columbus, but when i do, i'll let you know. glad to heard marky mark is good and healthy. take care. peace.

jam-il-a

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home