Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Late for School

I visited my adopted town's high school and middle school yesterday in an attempt to "stay current" on what is going on in classrooms today. Short answer: They're not using technology and hardly using their textbooks, so what I'm doing for work everyday seems a bit unnecessary.

Anyhoo, Kevin usually wakes me up around 6:30 by coming in the room (why do I always hear him coming?) and whispering (why whisper when you're trying to rouse someone?) "It's 6:30." Counting on that, I slept away stress-free. And then I hear his first words to me that day: "It's 6:50."

Whhhhhaaaaaaaa??!!?!?!?!

I needed to be sitting in the office at 7:30! Which means I needed to leave the house at 10-15 past 7. Which means I know have about 20-25 minutes to get ready. Kevin reasoned that I would be able to sleep-in a bit since I was just going to the local school. I'm not a horrid girly-girl in the morning and don't need more than 30 minutes to go from shower to gorgeous, but 20? Mmmm, that's stretching it. I rarely have to look at the clock in the morning and like to keep mornings stress-free. Not this morning.

If you want to feel like a teenager again, be late for school.

Once I arrived (right on time, baby!), I sat around in the office for 10 minutes waiting for the principal to come and get me. Again, just like when I was a teenager! Then I started my day of visiting. I ended up visiting 4 teachers in 7 periods and the overriding thought was . . . "I miss the kids. I can do better. I want to get back to the classroom."

Of course, doing so would mean going through the hideousness of getting an updated teacher's license and quitting my fabulous and much-loved corporate job.

No problem.

I am on a "make-it-to-April-and-then-see" life schedule. April is when I get my bonus. If I don't get fired before then, I can make it. It helps that I'll be on maternity leave for 6 weeks and can take another week of vacation, too. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

"30 minutes from shower to gorgeous" is a phrase made in advertising heaven. Teacher-envy or not, you might actually be in the right line of work!

9:54 AM  
Blogger David said...

I am really sorry that things are not going well. I wish it were otherwise (for completely selfish reasons as well as for you).

If you want me to punch anybody, I could give it a try . . .

5:27 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Okay, Burb, since you offered, I gotta little job for ya. I want you to go punch Tom DeLay for me, just to add insult to indictment!! Then quietly slip away...there might be a visit to Bill Frist in your future.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home