Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Goba-a-a-ama!

A couple of great things happened today. We got a new president. The full enormity of both Obama's swearing in and Bush's long ride home haven't quite hit, though I did shed many a happy tear--and clapped heartily in my empty living room--during the inauguration events, and I watched a lot of it.

Also, when I left this morning, I decided that my sheep April was either in labor or finally dying of old age. When I returned at 10:30 to watch the inauguration, she had given birth to two lambs. One was dead, but the other was very alive. S/He hasn't been what I'd call thriving--she has been slow to use her long back legs and I only saw her suckle for a few seconds. Her mom, April, is one of the old ewes with old, misshapen teats. April's last lamb managed to do OK (Harry Potter is now a full-fledged ram) so I'm hoping this one works it out. As of late tonight she is still alive and, because of that, must be receiving some nourishment.

A new president; a new lamb. I was on at city council tonight, speaking for three different issues. First, the tourism budget, with garnered several clarifying questions but no verbal opposition (Yay! I got two pay raises in two days!). The big Chamber celebration is moving back downtown to near-universal acclaim, although when we will have fireworks and who will pay for them remains unresolved. And the downtown revitalization initiative that everyone in-the-know is excited about passed--barely. If you've ever doubted how one vote can make a difference.... Hometown almost became the first town in Missouri (out of 30) over the last three years to refuse this state program that offers comprehensive studies and a plan for revitalizing our downtown and, thus, our entire town for only 20% of what it would normally cost because of one man who has a personal vendetta against the one woman who secured us the grant in the first place. I was sweating it, standing there at the council meeting, as six names were called, five of whom had to say yes. Five did. Here's hoping that lone nay vote comes back to bite a certain someone in the ass.

Back to Obama. I am thrilled. Really thrilled! Although inherently mistrustful of authority figures until they deem themselves worthy, I am truly hopeful that Obama will change the game and bring real change in the way that we talk to one another and get things done. I really am inspired to do more. That is saying something. That is what a good leader can do. Godspeed to Barack Obama.

And may I say...I love the first lady's color chutzpah! I love that she says 'mom-in-chief.' I understand the chafing on behalf of those who say she is much more. She is! But it was her husband who was elected. She is already influential and I doubt she'll let this platform pass her by. And she's there for no more than 8 years. She already puts her children first. A woman that accomplished can afford to take a few years and make sure her daughters grow up right amidst the glare. Those kinds of choices are what feminism is all about. I don't think that she is pandering for the sake of politics in any way.

On Monday our family attended a service in honor of MLK Jr. and Obama at a black church. It was a moving experience. Kevin and his co-worker created a plaque for the occasion, entitled "The bridge that brought us across", that featured the Edmund Pettus bridge in Birmingham with MLK saying "I have a dream" on one side and Obama's "Yes we can!" on the other. It was on the front page of the hometown paper this morning! The best part of the service was when one of the speakers said, "Rosa Parks sat so that we could stand, Martin Luther King stood so Obama could run, and Obama ran so our children could fly." And Stevie was standing beside me, singing, and it was a great afternoon.

Good night, dear reader, and wake up tomorrow ready to go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Thanks for the energizing words. We're gonna need it.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home