Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

White Gold . . . Texas Tea . . . Sweetener!

I've been exercising at least 1/2 hour per day (on average) for two months and have not lost even ONE pound, despite the fact that this amount of exercise represents a huge increase in the amount that I was getting before January 1. I know the rules of the weight-loss game--I know the numbers. So not losing any weight is strange. Freakish. And believe me, I have it to lose. This is not one of those "the last 5 pounds is so hard to shake" situations. It should be melting off.

So why does it stick around (like the bank of clouds hanging in a dreary Midwestern late-winter sky ;)? Because I'm still eating too much and, in particular, I eat way too much sugar.

So I'm giving it up until the first of April. There are three exceptions: I will allow a piece of honey toast no more than once per day. I will still sprinkle a tablespoon or so of straight-up sugar into my weekday breakfast smoothie. If the Cake Lady here at works makes a cake from the Cake Bible, I get a piece.

But all other "manufactured" simple sugars--Sweettart bunnies, Dove eggs, bad store-bought cookies, brownies, all of the things that I love and, while eating, fantasize about living in a magical land where they are good for you and fill you with vigor, all will be banished for one month. Treat me as if I were a smoker or a heroin addict who must go cold turkey. An addiction to sugar is nothing to sneer at.

"I've learned my lesson: a mountain of sugar is too much for one (wo)man. It's clear now why God portions it out in those tiny packets, and why he lives of a plantation in Hawaii."

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

First of all, you look fabulous.

Although I'm a classic ectomorph (stick-figure) myself, I come from a long line of meso-endomorphs (triangular bodies who get round easily). There's a magic ratio of INTAKE:OUTPUT that's different for each person, and when your activity level falls below your food consumption, it shows. How many people skip a day of eating when they skip a day of exercise?

Secondly, you look fabulous. And in the words of Maria Muldaur (or someone she covered), "It ain't the meat, it's the motion." It's just my bias, but strength, flexibility, endurance, and energy matter more than the number on the scale. If you workout/play with everything you've got, what you've got will tone and redistribute, as your chariot carries you through this battle, Arjuna!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home