Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'm bored. I'm bored. I'm the Chairman of the . . . BORED!

Thank you, Iggy Pop.

Elijah Wood was being interviewed on Bob and Tom this morning. He's apparently going to star in a bio-pic of Iggy Pop! That should be very interesting.

Much, much more interesting than my own work which, right now, consists of me answering questions from schools regarding the content of our books. For example, do they 'avoid use of offensive or sexist language which may make implications about persons or groups based solely on their culture, ethnicity, race, disability, or sex?' And 'do these materials portray the various elements of the American society and culture in a way that contributes to mutual understanding and acceptance?' Is this the job of the textbook companies now? Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a total smartass in the face of questions like this.

I mean really. What do these folks expect us to say? But instead of just saying "yes" and moving on, I have to explain how our books don't engage in these Bad Things, which is not easy. Do you say "we never described women as 'bitches' or 'hos' even once!"? You see my dilemma. This is how I am spending my week. It is deadly boring, and I am ever on the lookout for distractions.

So I have been tossing around future topics for Rural Fetish. Among them:

1. My displaced analysis of subjectivity and objectivity in music, using the much loved/maligned James Taylor as a focal point.

2. Further stories about my life in the cabin. However, I don't know what to talk about next. It's easier to just answer people's questions, like 'where did you go to the bathroom'?

3. Who's going to stay home when the baby comes. Day care for both children will set us back over $1500.00 a month. Crazy.

4. Why a recent poll found that around 1/2 of Americans reject evolution. No--it's best to stay away from that one.

5. The recent "where are they now" query starring yours truly on my high school alumni Web site, and the phenomena of people who care about such things. The person who asked about me was a person I had to look up in the yearbook to remember.

Comments and other distractions are welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Say it ain't so, Jack! Please tell me you don't really use aluminum cookware. Copper-bottom stainless, cast iron, or nothing. Just my opinion.

Out-house, septic tank, or some fancy-schmancy Swedish composting terlet?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

But I'm also curious about how you will apply that worn-out, specious distinction between 'objective' and 'subjective' information. PU-leeeeeze. In grammar, okay, it's a valid way to decide whether to say 'I' or 'me'. Let's see how it applies to music, of all things.

1:39 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Golly, Golly! Way to be the wide Sargasso Sea to a gal's blogging sails!

Still, I will forge on, using the largely accepted (?) definitions, knowing all too well that there is very little in the arts that is truly "objective", if anything. Oh, there's some stuff. There just HAS to be!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home