Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Worthless Post

Maybe not worthless, but certainly not profound. A few things swirling around in my world:

1. The Leaves. I can't believe how pretty this season is. My eyes are drunk but still can't get enough! I look and look and look and it's as if I can't comprehend how truly lovely is this loveliness. I wish I was in a better position to go hiking. Hiking in the fall woods is definitely one of my Top 5 All-Time Favorite Things to Do.

2. Speaking of the incredible discomfort of this pregnancy . . . my pelvic bones are still grinding ("it's only going to get worse!" my doctor says) and now I'm beginning to have Braxton-Hicks contractions. These contractions are sorta like practice contractions--your body preparing itself for the good times ahead! Usually painless (or relatively so), they kicked my ass this past weekend. By Sunday evening, my ab muscles felt as if I had put them through a workout so severe, so medieval, that they had just decided to shred themselves and be done with it. I must say, though, that the combination pelvis/ab revolt makes for some comical attempts at getting up from the couch. Usually I just roll over onto the floor, start on all fours, and push up from there. As graceful as a cave troll--that's me! As the leading manufacturer of poorly cut maternity clothes in a variety of scratchy, horrible fabrics claims, "Motherhood is Hot." What total bullshit!

3. Today is Marky's first "non-stress test". I'll report on that later.

4. I stayed up til 11 last night watching Return of the King (I'm sure some of you have picked up the unintentional LOTR references by now!). I totally know what happens in each of the 4 endings but watched them til the bitter end anyway. That big battle scene at Minas Tirith is just too good. I don't know why I enjoy watching battle scenes, given the fact that I hate war and all. I guess it's because it's just so bizarre, such a crazy thing to do. Why didn't the WWI soldiers prolong the fabled Christmas Truce of 1914? Why not let the idiot generals and leaders fight it out amongst themselves. Were things THAT boring down on the farm? I bet the farm looked a hell of a lot better after a few days in the trenches! Anyway, Peter Jackson and crew did a phenomenal job on those movies. Castle sieges are particularly intriguing, and I find myself scheming about stronger gates, get-away caves, and other such nonsense. I went to bed thinking of what must have happened to Tolkien in the Great War that would lead to LOTR. There was a lot of really great literature, poetry, art, and even comedy that came out of that experience. I dreamed about LOTR last night. And, finally . . .

5. Speaking of LOTR, it did help me form the idea for the quilt that I want to make for my friend The Artist in exchange for one of her paintings. I must abandon this Worthless Post now and find some images of Lothlorien. Bye!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Are you practicing your kegels?

9:39 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

Well, I NEVER!!

Actually, no. If you're thinking that it might help with the pelvic bone problem, unfortunately it won't. That's a bone issue and the doc said that there's nothing that can be done (I asked).

Thanks for the reminder, though. I haven't been doing any kind of prepararation outside of occasionally rubbing Vitamin E oil on my belly. No stretch marks yet!

10:59 AM  
Blogger David said...

I was away from my desk most of the day, so wasn't in the normal flow of replying . . . uh, not that I make a habit of reading blogs at work, because that is wrong!

But, I (of course) love the LOTR references. Amazing that you dream about it! (Even I don't do that.)

Two things: if you REALLY want to know thoughts Tolkien had when writing and maybe get a sense of how his personal life affected the books, might I suggest the History of Middle Earth series, compiled by son Christopher T. (he has a brief cameo in ROTK behind Aragorn outside the gates of Mordor)
These books provide unabridged drafts of just about every scrap of manuscript and addendum that JRRT scribbled on over the many years that the books were written--WITH strange editorial symbols also! If you want to leach almost ALL of the creative wonder out of these works, you can borrow them from me. (I don't have the complete set--all 14 volumes!--but you can look at it if you want.

Second--also related to LOTR--it looks like I will have an extra ticket for the Indiana Museum LOTR exhibit that I and Tegan's parents and the kids on Sunday, October 30. I don't think T. is going to be able to go. I can find the website if you need more information and it IS about a three hour drive. But, you and Perk are the two most likely officeworkers to take advantage.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home