Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Now I've Forgotten What I Was Going to Write About.

But I'm pretty sure it was about going for a long walk/run last night with Kevin and the boys. We went to the local paved Rail Trail. It's really, really pretty. We did 6 miles, walking 4 minutes and running 1. Despite his smoking a pack a day for over a year and wearing work boots, Kevin didn't seem affected at all. Whatta jerk.

Getting Kevin to go walking was exercise in and of itself. 95% of the time he says no and I accept it. But, dammit, it was too pretty to not go, I needed the motivation jolt that a fresh face provides, and I didn't want to deal with both kids and all the machinery (the baby jogger) by myself. I warmed up with the question itself--"Will you come walking with us?" and slowly built-up my pleading. Near the pinnacle of the workout, I got Stevie on board--"Wouldn't it be fun if your daddy went with us, Stevie?" and, to top it off, promised favorite sexual acts (which I would have indulged anyway, but it doesn't hurt to remind him of them).

It worked! He went with us. Thanks, oral sex!

Kevin is going to quit smoking on his 38th birthday, which is Monday. Should be fun. He called the "Quit Line" and is buying patches today. I'm all for it, of course, for many reasons--his health, our children's health (he smokes well away from them and they don't know, but it lingers on his clothes, in his beard, etc. despite his attempts to wash it away), the fact that it burns my ass to hand my money to the tobacco companies. And, I think the walk/run motivated him. If he is still in decent shape despite his best attempts to destroy his health, he has the potential to be quite the athlete. He's even thinking of taking on the Moab Half Marathon with me in the spring. Yes, I will be momentarily miffed if I end up run/walking it and he runs it, but I'll get over it. Gladly.

The other great thing about getting out for a walk is what it does for the kids. I am SURE that there is no better stimulus for children's brains and moods than nature. Stevie can hop around, walk, run, explore, throw rocks, collect buckeyes, and watch chipmunks. The benefits are so obvious. But what about Mark, belted into the jogger, bundled up against the cold? I've caught him groovin'. Checking out leaf/light patterns, taking in the fresh wet woodsy smells, chewing on sticks, watching the chipmunks. I can almost see the brainwaves forming.

It was a good walk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any problem oral sex can't solve?

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home