Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Numbers

There are a lot of numbers in my life lately.

At work, it's all about dates. At the core, I have a finite set of tasks (about 32) that, as a whole, must be completed by an end date (4-30-07), and there are many individual completion dates along the way. There is the end date to me being in middle management (thank god). If I don't get mergered, that number is 5-31-07. So, of course, there is the number of days left until that date = 255. (Man! That's a big number.)

There are numbers--big ones--in the formation of our new business. The most immediate is 10,000, as in dollars, for some--not all--of the equipment we'll need. That number will decrease by 3,000 if Kevin can convince my dad to give some of his business to the person who quoted us that number. There's another number--1,500--as in dollars per month for the building we want to lease-to-own, starting this December. And there are other numbers, ending in at least two zeros, for all of the other start-up stuff we need--compressor, truck, a copier.

My weight is a number which I will not reveal. I want that number to be 140, but I have a ways to go to get there. To shrink the number, I put in other numbers--2 hours of working out last night (I've been a slacker), 35 dollars for 1 hour with a personal trainer 2 times per 7 days. That starts Friday. I hate working out with weights, but know too much about the benefits to not, and that is nothing but numbers--weight, reps, sets.

I've been thinking about this numbers thing for awhile now. I have come to realize that my current life is all about them. It's efficient, sure, but I'm looking forward to walking in the woods somewhere, looking around at the pretty leaves, and not counting them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home