Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, May 05, 2008

And from the chaos, order. Sorta.

I kicked into gear on Friday night and for three productive hours on Saturday morning and got my house in pretty good shape.

I then left for Downtown and set up my kid's stuff for the Festival. While I was there, my m-i-l watched the little kid. Luckily, he wanted to take a nap in his own house as opposed to hers. Why is this lucky? Because she was stuck in my house for 3 hours and decided to clean! She did dishes, vacuumed, wiped down my crazy coffee table, and swept and mopped the floor. That last one was the kicker. You know how it is when something (laundry, desktops, thank you cards, bills etc.) gets so out-of-hand that you don't even want to approach it? That's the way it was with my floor. And, I must say, she saved me this time.

After returning home from the very successful and appreciated kids station, I cleaned the bathroom, knocked down the leaning tower of mail, and the house was almost there. Yesterday, I took the seedlings outside and put the craft table back in place, doggedly picked up any stray crap, and I'm now one laundry room away from order. Why am I boring you to death with all of this? Because you should know, dear reader, that I am a much more functional person when I have an orderly house, when I know what bills I need to pay (I uncovered a phone bill that was due April 23!), when Stevie has his homework done (we've been woeful on that score these past few weeks), and when things are under control and I know what's expected of me in the little time that I have.

I start my Chamber job for real today, without the weird hours brought on by annual festivals. I have a social tonight, a Chamber board meeting tomorrow, a Tourism board meeting on Wednesday, and I close on our shop on Friday.

That's right! We're buying the monument building, thanks to an incredibly generous older couple. They financed our landlord, and they decided they'd be better off to finance us directly since we pay the landlord on time and then the landlord doesn't pay them on time! They are writing us a check for $200,000, and we're buying the building for $205,000. I'm not happy about that--the asking price when we moved in was $205,000, and we've since paid $27,000 in rent, so our real price is $232,00, but what are ya gonna do. After Friday, it belongs to us (you know, if we continue to make the payments). To us! It all went down very quickly, but I can't believe our good fortune. To get a loan from a bank would have taken us at least another year or even two, because we needed to come up with about $40,000 down. Once again, we are the beneficiaries of the largesse of retirees with big hearts and big bank accounts.

I've got to go. Lots to do. But at least my stomach doesn't churn quite as much when I think about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Congratulations on the building (and the lambs). As my Mom used to say, you must live right! Between Mr. Heifer, Mr. Mayor, and the Generous Older Couple, you have made some formidable allies. Rock on!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home