Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hark! The Mayor is Calling!

That's right. On Friday, the Mayor of Our Fair City called and asked me to reconsider the Chamber job. Said to at least get through the interviews and, if I still wanted to say no, of course I could.

Apparently, there was a meeting about it while I was at a sustainable agriculture conference in Western City. Can you believe all the fuss about little 'ol me?

Actually, it's not just me. It's also about the potential to merge two part-time jobs--one of which I hold--into one good full-time job. The Mayor mentioned $35,000 per year. I'll go for more, and much built-in flexibility. That is an absolute must.

I'm still torn about it. I need time to grow a big garden, take care of all the animals and the boys, shop, cook, all that stuff. And the shop is starting to do very well! Kevin is here on Saturdays now and gets a big crowd (relative to the other days of the week). Who knew there were so many monument browsers? So we'd have to hire someone--I'm thinking a newly-retired person (Mom? Dave?)

But, on the good side, $35,000 (or more) when you have no mortgage (yet) means a lot of money to sock towards credit card bills. If the shop keeps on kicking and I can put most of my paycheck towards the evil ones, we should be able to pay everything off in a year-and-a-half or so, and not be taking money out of the shop to pay for them. Two years to cover the student loan, too. I would say that I'll stick it out at least until we're out of debt, but then I'd be out the tourism job, and I really like the tourism job. So I hope 1. we can work out favorable terms (including health insurance or more $ and no insurance), 2. I get the job, and 3. I like it and can live up to expectations.

And I won't lie and say that it's not flattering that the Mayor called and asked me to put my hat back in the ring. It is flattering.

I've got to finish my ppt. for New York--taking off tomorrow morning. Yes, I'm gone three days for a 1-hour presentation. And I'm doing the exact same thing next weekend, in another school in Western NY. Isn't that nuts?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm. congrats?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

This just in: Hizzoner knows a good deal when he sees it, but if he thinks his first offer is good enough, think again. Fifty plus benefits and flex-time, due all due respect.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home