Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

And then there were two...

Mr. Heifer came by last night to pick up his two bottle lambs. This morning, June gave birth to two more. Equilibrium.

June has a deformed udder and deformed teats. Sheep udder and teats should be tucked up near the belly, high and tight. Her udder is as big as one of those red hot water bottles and hangs as low, and her teats have serious girth and hang nearly to the ground. The lambs are following their instinct and searching in the right place, but missing the mother lode by about a foot.

So I ran out to Wal-Mart (the only option!) and bought some bottles, mixed up some colostrum, and tried to stuff it down their throats. I managed to get one lamb attached to June's teat, but it couldn't seem to find it without help. And I probably pissed off June pretty good, seeing as how she doesn't like to be touched.

Instead of 8, I got to work at 10. I'll head home at 12 and hope for the best, or else grab the lambs and feed them as best I can. They are big, healthy (for now) lambs, and I want them to live. But why today, June? I have a meeting tonight and a meeting tomorrow night, bills to copy and mail...dangit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home