Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

I like money. We should hang out.

I'm sitting here thinking that I need to write a post to make up for my last one. But what to write about? Well, we had great people over for dinner last night--fucking finally!--so I'll write about that. Then I'm sitting here wondering what the hell I'm going to title it. "Friends-at last!" came to mind, but seems desperate somehow. I fixed on "I like money..." because they gave us the movie it's from (Idiocracy) and I watched a bit of it last night after they left. And, man, I need to hang out.

I love the Midwest, but as you know, dear reader, I'm surrounded by republicans and, what to call them...2nd amendment Christians? God and Country Christians? Republican Christians. That works. I can get along with them just fine in my daily doings, but there's always that disconnect and it discourages hanging out. Why, just this morning I received an email prayer from an acquaintance with whom I serve on a committee that rarely meets. The subject line was a curt "Read this and send back to me". The email instructed me to send it to at least four very-special-to-me people whom I feel deserve this very special prayer. So who sends that with 'send back to me' in the subject line? And I am not special to this person--she's obviously just going for numbers. Shockingly, I deleted it without sending it to those I love.

Anyway, the reason I'm saying all this is because folks like the family who came over last night are in short supply around here. So, so short. They're refreshingly honest and brave, very intelligent, and socially progressive. But they take it a step further because they share all that subculture stuff that most people I know, as great as they are, just don't get. It's born of that seeking quality, that sense that there's another way to be than how you were programmed to be. That's very important.

It's a tricky business, making friends. I've always gone for quality over quantity--which works when your friends are in close proximity and you don't have adult-like responsibilities. When I moved to Missouri I actually despaired--how on earth am I going to make friends when it's just going to be me and Kevin all day? It was made worse because I was leaving a wonderful, stimulating group of friends whom I really enjoyed (and my Best Friend Ted, of course--although he's with me for life no matter where we live). Even now, working my jobs, I work mostly by myself. I meet a LOT of people and some of them are great, but who has the time to hang out enough to start laying down the bonds that make you make time for something as luxurious as a friend?

I would make time for the folks who were here last night. They wave their freak flag high. And, if they're reading this right now and thinking that I'm some sort of desperate wrong-kind-of-freak and they don't want to be friends with me? Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid. Except say that I knew, deep down, that they were pompous, and faggy.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

(Way to crap the bed there at the end Lulu! Everything was going fine there and it looked good for you. But then you had to go and insult them.)

Oh well. There's always Columbus (and surrounding environs)!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

As Bogart said to Bergman, "We'll always have Centerburg."

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home