Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, February 10, 2006

We Have Mice

I keep all of my thread for quilting in these pretty little canvas covered boxes. Very Real Simple. I label the fronts "pretty thread" and "variegated thread" and "100% cotton", etc. These boxes are neatly stored on the shelves above my washer and dryer.

Side story: Our washer quit on us yesterday. It had been making a weird whining sound and then, yesterday, just went kerplunk. Kevin contemplated fixing it himself, but to do so would require a library book and a bunch of work and so he called an actual repairman. The repairman came ($54.00 for the 30-minute round trip) and removed a teeny little baby sock from the pump (17.50, labor). Awwwww. That's the cutest little $72.00 we'll ever spend.

Yesterday afternoon I left work early so I could go to my little hometown quilting store and take advantage of my birthday discount of 30%. I decided to buy more thread. While putting it away (in the "variegated" and "pretty" boxes), I pulled down the boxes and discovered a single mouse turd on the top of my variegated thread box!

Now, I hate mice. I think I've even written a post on that topic before. And we've been relatively mouse-free for months now. Despite my hatred, all I said was "Ewwww. There's a mouse turd on my pretty thread box" and tipped the box so the offensive offal would disappear into the food bits from a previous day's dinner preparation that were still lingering on the floor. I loaded the new thread into the boxes. While doing so, I hear a "Can I see?" from the living room. It was Stevie.

Stevie likes fabric and art and all that so, pleased, I once again removed the top of the box and held the box down at the level of the approaching 5-year old so he could look at all of my pretty new thread and dream with me of future Lord of the Rings-themed quilts. How wonderful that he is taking an interest in this artistic enterprise! How awesome that he is busting out of gender stereotypes and/or hasn't learned yet that quilting is for girls! He rounded the corner into the kitchen, peered down into the box full of glorious colors, and pondered . . .

"Where's the mouse turd?"

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Nice one!

This morning, when I woke up Grace, I noticed that her face had a strange mark on it that I could barely see in the semi-darkness.

Once she stood up and the light was on I could see that 1) she had smeared, dried blood around her nose and mouth (vampire girl?!) and 2) there was a big dried blotch on the fitted sheet.

Fighting her cold, she had picked her nose until it bled during the night.

Sarah was already awake and was immediately interested in Grace's condition. She wanted to examine the blood, wipe it off with a washcloth, and quickly inform Mommy of the situation.

Kids LOVE these sorts of things. I think it is a symptom of the safe, ordered modern world. If they had to fight off mastadons for their morning breakfast, then they would probably be different.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Yo! Mom found some mastodon turds in the box of gut-string and sharp sticks! Cool!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Okay, digital-age humans, which is intrisically more interesting: 1) a NOVA science special about the circulatory system or a toddler with a bloody nose? 2) a Disney tour of mammal nutrition or cleaning out the horse barn? Life magazine (great pictures) or life? Conclusion: kids know what's cool.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

PS. Have a mice day!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home