Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, July 10, 2006

slivers

First I read Why Won't You Grow? Then I Stand Corrected. And I was struck by the similarities in the lives of three very different (?) human bloggers. I, too, spent last week at a family homestead, suffering in the mid-90s heat and humidity. Why is MO always so damn hot?! I had to close the window yesterday morning here in swingstate, it was so cold! And I, too, contemplated the whole parenthood thing, even without the instigator. In a nutshell, I love it. But I could've used a bit more time to myself yesterday.

Finally, I, too, find projects that suck up huge tracts of time. I don't garden; I would rather see the weeds eat holes in the siding than suffer through pulling them. But I do have papers. And I do, occasionally, open up the files and weed through the rows of labeles manila folderis.

I also quilt. If you walked into my house right now, you would stand, stunned, before the large pile of various fabrics and whole quilts sitting on top of Kevin's butcher block table. (Don't be scared. Though there are needles.) The butcher block table that we took out of the kitchen months ago, and then brought back into the kitchen for the wine tasting party, and had planned to take out again except that a large pile of various fabrics and whole quilts are squatting there and don't seem to be leaving any time soon. So yesterday I mostly sat around (between jags of holding Marky) and stared at it, desperately wanting to get into something, feeling very entitled to spend ALL of my time quilting (thanks, vacation), but forlornly realizing that I had so many somethings to start and only two hands and a few hours. Bummer! I breezed through about a dozen quilting magazines looking for inspiration for the appliqued border of my parents-in-law's quilt that I may or probably may not have done in time for Christmas. I worked for a bit on a quilt that I'm exchanging for a painting, but my thread kept breaking and it was pissing me off and at least I know to quit when that starts happening. So I quit. And I watched a movie--My Date With Drew--that gets a hearty B+. See tiny print for details.

It was a documentary about a normal guy (VERY normal) who has had a crush on Drew Barrymore since they both were kids and decided to document his 30-day quest to secure a date with her with only a couple of buddies, a camera that had to be returned in 30 days (thus the time frame), and $1,100 in game show winnings (curiously enough, a sum won by getting his teammates to say "Drew Barrymore" in a televised game of "Taboo") to help him. It was a good movie--very light, pretty sweet, with a happy ending.

It was a pretty unproductive day. You might say, "Hey--it's OK! We all must veg once in a while." But you'd be full of shit. Why? Because there's SO MUCH TO DO.

Insight: When Kev and I were in MO, we looked at property. We thought it would be cool to get a cheap, CHEAP place to live and fix it up a bit while we got our business started. Woah, there! What's this about a business? As many of you know, Kevin and I would like to start our own monument company. Kevin wants to do this in MO and it would be an excellent place to do it. Why? 1. His uncle owns a funeral home in Hometown. 2. There is no one within 50 miles making monuments. 3. Kevin really wants to settle in MO. I'm a bit ambivalent. But I'm a tree; I can bend. And Hometown is really cheap. 4. We have land there and plan to build our homestead on it.

Sooooo . . . we looked at really cheap houses and we even looked at a couple of big, steel, industrial-type buildings. There's one we really want. If he knocks the price down, and if investors put forth the cash, it's ours. If we get it, we'll need to make some trips out there to fix it up and get everything ready. It's a big place and we will be able to live there as well after it gets freshly sprinkled with female dust.

If we get it, we need to get out of the house we're in. Bummer! I really like our house. To do that, we need to get this house ready for sale. Thus the MANY THINGS TO DO. And that's just the stuff we HAVE to do. The stuff we WANT to do--quilt and make bowls and go camping with the kids--well, do we have time to do it? My, my. Scurry, scurry, scurry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home