Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Where To Go?

One of the perks of having to travel for work is getting to keep my plane miles and hotel points. If I had been smarter, I would have had a free ticket and a free night's stay by now, but I chose corporate thrift over personal gain and have a few miles on many airlines and points split between Hilton and Marriott.

But I'm getting wise. With a mere 8 months to go, I can concentrate on flying American (or Southwest--it's close) and staying in Marriott (the overwhelming point leader) and come out of here with enough miles/points to score a close-to-free vacation.

So where will I go? Whenever I travel for work, I fantasize about how much more fun it would be if I could take my husband and kids. It's all lost of Mark, but Stevie and all little kids have the ability to make the best of travel, esp. airports--like the one in Detroit with the overhead, indoor train, or Atlanta with its miles-high escalators, or Boston with its Star Wars transport-like Lego trams that drive straight into buildings for loading and unloading.

Last night I booked an overnight trip to fabulous Cleveland . . . in late November. Why in the hell would I do that, you ask. Because my 7th wedding anniversary is November 26 and Kevin and I are (finally!) going to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and we're going to stay in a nice Marriott, have a great dinner, . . . and take a breather from the kids. The hotel, parking, free breakfast, and two tix to the rock hall are $189.00. Not bad! AND I get Marriott points.

After receiving my confirmation email from Marriott, I found out that I had 17,000+ Marriott points. That's enough to stay for 2 nights at a low-level Marriott hotel brand in Omaha, but what do I need to stay in a really nice Marriott somewhere good? More. I'll get some points for Cleveland, for my overnight this week in Oklahoma City, and for several days in Washington D.C. later in November. That will probably get me enough for 1, maybe 2 nights at a real Marriott in the downtown of a real city. But which city?

I've been to San Diego several times and am starting to understand why people live there, despite the cost and traffic. It's gorgeous, and there are boats and amusement parks and a zoo and the ocean. Seattle is wonderful, too, but we already have a free place to stay. Perhaps on our next trip there we can spend a night or two downtown and not have to drive to the sites? San Francisco might be cool--Kevin likes it, there's plenty for kids to see, and it's a short drive to the Redwoods. Hmmm . . . that's sounding pretty good.

There are no Marriotts of any kind in Moab, our March destination. And, usually, we'd stay someplace cheap--like a tent in a state park--during our few vacations. We also have a free beach house at our disposal on Topsail Island, NC. So if I'm going to treat my family to a few nights in a posh pad and free (or really cheap) flights, where do we go? I'd say New Zealand, but I'm sure a domestic stay is all that we can afford. Back to San Diego, or someplace with warmer seas like Ft. Myers? I'd like to go to New York, but that's a lot of walking for a kid and it's not really Kevin's dream. The U.P.? Maine? Boulder? The aforementioned jumping off mecca of San Francisco?

I need a goal. Suggestions?

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I endorse either Boulder or San Francisco. I've actually been to both places and found them both to be very beautiful--full of natural scenery and lots to do.

You can't go wrong in either place.

You've been, I believe up Portland way, but I've heard that it is a quite nice place to spend some days.

Asheville, North Carolina is a nice place according to a lot of people, but you might have been there already.

How about Maine? You been to Seattle and seen that rugged, rocky side of the country. Why not head in the opposite direction? My oldest brother has taken his girls (10 and 7) there and I think they had a good time.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Fun! I'm thinking Santa Fe (for the art and architecture), Halifax (for the seacoast and Scots culture), or Marquette (for Lake Superior and the UPanites). Or, if you've got lots of points, Oslo or Prague - or Pataskala!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home