Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Yah Mo B There

Herein I shall attempt to explain the reasons behind the righteous jams I chose for the "Yah Mo B There" parting CD for my work friends. You are so much more than work friends in my heart.

Beastie Boys--Blue Nun and Stand Together
The perfect opening duo for many a mix, plus it has chicken sounds, harkens back to many a fun party, and most people here like the B Boys messin' with the freak freak.

Beck--Beercan
Again, Beck is pretty popular among you hipsters. Seeing as how it's called "Beercan", it suits our little booze-croozer Brieanna pretty well. I wanted to have "Be Bop A Lula" for Brieanna because as I was perusing song titles I saw that and immediately thought "Brieanna". Beercan has the great line "I quit my job blowing leaves..." I love that.

Beta Band--Round the Bend
You can't take the lyrics to heart on this one--I DO want to see my friends again. Karl introduced me to this song, so this one's for you buddy. And this song was one of a handful on my tiny iTunes list that made it to my new computer. Remember "Muskrat Hate"? I'll never forget. Plus, the part where he says "But it's not mainly a Brian Wilson production so it's probably not as good as something like...Pet Soooooooounds...." made it to my list of "Top 10 song parts". Notice that the drum re-intro in "In the Air Tonight" did NOT make it to that list.

Pavement--Grave Architecture
A cool song by a band-who-deserves-to-be-heard that talks about monuments? Please.

Flaming Lips--She Don't Use Jelly
Several of you like the Flaming Lips, one of my old faves. I don't like the new stuff, so I thought I'd include an accessible and ROCKING tune from the olden days.

Rage Against the Machine--Killing in the Name
Hello Guitar Heroes! Also for karl, our little antiestablishmentarian among antiestablishmentarians. Fine, DON'T do what they tell you!

Jane's Addiction--Stop
Hello again, guitar heroes! I love this awesome Gen X band. I was thinking the other day that they are like the Van Halen (before David Lee Roth's exodus and the unfortunate synthesizer overuse) of the 80s and early 90s.

Bongwater--Women Tied Up In Knots
Yes, I smoked pot. And Bongwater is hilarious. I thought this was a good choice for a segue to "Uncontrollable Urge" and our TWO conversations about masturbation songs. Plus it covers all those soul-searching conversations we've had, including the shocking revelations that were unpantsed at Val's Sex Party.

DEVO--Uncontrollable Urge
For the young ones.

The Kinks--Lola
For Rachel. And ROCK and ROLL! One of the great snotty rock songs ever.

Flamin' Groovies--Teenage Head
Part of your RnR education, I think everyone should know about this late 60s band that shoulda been more famous. Their "Shake Some Action" ended up in Clueless (under cover). I guess this could be for the 20-somethings, all of whom were wild and crazy teens while the rest of us were slugging away at work and/or marriage. Or you could imagine that this is for Darryl. Have you noticed that many of his Canadian stories deal with darkness and dirty deeds (and guns)? I have.

Southern Culture on the Skids--Soul City
Segue into jokes about redneck Boonville. I just like it.

Uncle Tupelo--Mike
This is for--who else? Wes. It works for all of you, though. Awwwww.

The Gourds--Gin and Juice
This song is both rockin' and hilarious. What could be better? And I associate it with the first Halloween party here at work. I think of Aaron, mostly, when I hear this--he knew it was by The Gourds. Hooray for Aaron!

Frank Zappa--San Ber'dino
You should all listen to more Frank Zappa. And there isn't a more perfect song for Kevin and me.

Bob Dylan and The Band--Million Dollar Bash
Just a weird but cool song. There are some Dylan fans out there (Heather, karl) but I didn't want anything too heavy. This is for all the bashes we had, and how much damn fun you all are. Really--you people make the scene. I just adore you.

Rolling Stones--Dead Flowers
Email me. I'll make your tombstones. This is a gross misinterpretation of what this song is really saying, but I don't give a crap. That's how I stay so punk rock.

Steely Dan--Hey Nineteen
I had to nix another Heather song, but this one just HAD to be on here. It's your thing, Heather, do what you wanna do... (that was another one).

Talking Heads--Don't Worry About the Government
Darryl, do you know how tough it is to find a song for you, since I don't think you even listen to music? (Yes, I know he'll never read this.) And Dean, this one is for you, too--I tried to find one for you politicos, but it turned out to be perfect in other ways. Yes, you'd better drop what you're doing when I take the highway, park, and come up to see you. Friends are important.

I had to cull about 40% of my choices--mostly sad and/or slow stuff. And I bemoan the lack of fade that, had I had it, would have made this even smoother and more professional than it already is.

You should know that this is the first mixed CD I've ever made! I'd go even further for you people. You're the college friends I didn't have time in college to have, and I really love you all. But I had to leave...lest I yah mo burn this place to the ground and put a bullet in my brain.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I KNEW the Bongwater song was mine . . . for the comic book referneces if for NO OTHER REASON AT ALL.

(My never discussing the marital bed probably stemmed from the aforementioned Val party.)

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the mix, and if you associate a song about a naive guy who ends up sleeping with another fellow, thinking he's a she, but then turning out to be okay that he's a he, then clearly I've made my mark! And I love that it's a live version.
-Rachel

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home