Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Our Life = Turkey Breast?

Sure it's bland and boring to some, but it's also filling, relatively healthy, and can be quite delicious.

This past long holiday weekend was damn-near perfect. No, we didn't travel to exotic or even pretty climes and hike among the sequoias or anything as grandiose as that. But we relaxed, had fun, spent time together, and, yes, relaxed.

Wednesday afternoon was a wash--tidy up the house, lay around, help Stevie get his homework done and out of the way.

Thursday morning was peaceful, focused on the living room and kitchen--the stupid Macy's parade was on low volume, I made too much green bean casserole. We headed over to my mom and stepdad's around 1:00. David (stepdad) fixed a full Thanksgiving spread and everything was delicious. He even cleaned up. We then proceeded to bum around on the couch, completely unrushed, watching some football, a couple of movies (Elf and Fever Pitch), and, mostly, playing with Barbies and "action figures".

That's right--I sat on the couch for HOURS, untangling Barbie hair and cutting off the dead ends. And I was perfectly content. I even got a hot spot (pre-blister) on my hand from trying to brush Barbie hair with little plastic Barbie brushes! My mother has a large tote filled with Island of Lost Toy Barbies. Most of them needed a serious makeover. I used to love Barbies as a little girl (and Darci dolls, too). I spent a few hours on Friday looking at Barbies and Darcis on eBay, bidding on a few (the Dolls of the World Barbies, which I love in all of their It's a Small World glory) and checking out prices on the rest. Did you know that there are modern Barbies that go for hundreds of dollars? I am a feminist, BUT . . . I like Barbies. So shoot me, pig!

On Friday afternoon, we packed the kids up for a night at Grammy's and headed to Cleveland for our anniversary overnight getaway. So far, getting married on Thanksgiving has proven to be an incredibly smart decision. More on the getaway later (I'm coming for you, Burb....).

By Saturday mid-afternoon, we were back in our living room, sitting around with our adorable children. Kevin got my cold, so he was laid up. I took the kids outside to rake leaves and gave them rides in the wheelbarrow atop mounds of brown leaves. At one point I unearthed an incredibly realistic rubber snake right in the place where a real snake might be--nearly under the porch, gliding through a batch of wet leaves. In the few seconds that it took for my mind and a whack of the rake to realize that this was, indeed, a fake snake, I noticed that I had no adrenaline racing through my body. I was totally calm. I felt like such a Mother of Boys.

I will not be rattled!

Sunday was more of the same, only with the unwanted build-up of return-to-work anxiety.

Still, a restful, peaceful, none-too-productive, gorgeous-weather weekend. Just what my old anxiety-steeped bones needed. I hope yours was good, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

First of all, I have issues about your lack of issues. Second, there is no such thing as too much green bean casserole. Third, I'm shocked - SHOCKED - at your squandering precious moments of American Heartland Togetherness primping the Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie's hair. Island of Lost Toy Barbies? You've got to be kidding. Fourth, how long have you been saving the gem about the rubber snake - and you will not be rattled? Groan and double-groan!! Finally, if the Golly household's Thanksgiving were a food, it would be pumpkin pie - sweet but not too sweet to have a piece for breakfast, homemade but not entirely from scratch.

5:11 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

Why Sven, I was merely helping the Barbies look pretty for their appearance in front of the War Crimes Tribunal at The Hague. Where's the crime against humanity in that?

5:57 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Ya, ya - ve haf vays of making your lovely ubermensch blonde hair all soft unt shiny, yes?

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home