Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Back from Buffalo

I finally got the biggest item knocked off my list and, guess what? I was way over-prepared. Better than the alternative.

So I get to Buffalo and have 1.5 hours to present (instead of 2-2.5), and only 4 teachers show up--none of whom is actually using the Econ book. At least, they haven't yet. So I gave them the basic overview of the program which, had I known that was all I was going to have to do, would not have taken me as long to prepare. Then they canceled the afternoon session, which would have had many more teachers, because of the loathsome weather and the threat--just the threat--of losing power. I was sorta disappointed! I mean, I was there, ready to roll, and there were some new teachers who really wanted to know how to work all their new toys.

Because the weather was so awful, I told my host to not take me to Niagara Falls (about 25 miles away). Instead, I headed back to the hotel at noon, watched TV, ate junk food (there were no good alternatives), and read Harry Potter, Year 6. I flew out the next day--just as well since the airport was closed Wednesday--and read some more Harry Potter.

On Saturday, I started on Harry Potter, Year 7, and finished it on Sunday afternoon. What a great story! Harry and friends have even been showing up in my dreams these past weeks--I suppose that's what happens when you read all 7 books, back-to-back, over a short period of time. Loved them. Loved, loved, loved them. And Stevie, who just started on Year 5 today, loves them, too. Last night he finished 4 and immediately marched to the bookshelf to get, and start, Book 5. I told him that his grandmother, who is also reading them with gusto, just took 5 a few hours prior. His horror was IMMEDIATE. His face scrunched up as if he couldn't decide whether to cry or attack, and he yelled, "She'll regret!" before we assured him that we would get it back before school the next day.

I told him we would go over and swap dust jackets so that it would look like she still had Book 5, but actually she would just have Book 4 with the jacket from 5. He loved the idea and wrote a little note to stick in the book: "Gotch-ya! Name Peeves"

However, his dad botched the switch this morning. He went over there, took his shoes off, and attempted to sneak through the house--a house containing two live, awake people. Finally his mother called, "Kevin?" and when he confirmed, she asked, "Looking for this?" and presented the book, which had been in her room. Foiled!

So I'm back from Buffalo, I've been reading, and now I don't know what the hell to do with all my spare time.

I'm joking! I've got loads still. Talk to you later, dear reader.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I (irrationally) feel so proud that you've read and enjoyed the HP books as much as you have--and that Stevie enjoys them as well.

Believe it or not, Sarah is rereading them now! She even wrote a song about traveling on the Hogwarts Express Sunday night.

But I am trying to branch her reading out. This weekend we picked up some American Girl and some simplified Nancy Drew books from the library.

7:58 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

I so wish I had an excuse to have American Girl books (and dolls) around the house. I don't think my sons are that enlightened.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that a responsible adult finds occult kiddie lit more riveting than the econ book that made the world safe for neoconservatism. One more sign of the downfall of western civilization.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home