Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Facebook killed the blogspot star.

I have to admit it--my time on Facebook is taking time from Blogspot. In particular, I spend a lot of time playing Farm Town. Farm Town is awesome! (If you play, won't you be my neighbor? Also, I like trees.)

I went to real farm town yesterday. We all spent the day at Hot Waffles. I cleaned the cabin the whole time--about 6 hours. Kevin weedwhacked and raked around the cabin and burned the offal.

The folks who opened up the ice cream parlor in town came down to visit and seemed to like it! They have lived in a large, brown, Southwestern city most of their lives and are growing used to all things green and lush and humid. They deemed the place a good place to hang out, shoot guns, and BBQ. And that it is. (I hate guns, but I can abide.)

We quickly made plans for an impromptu steak-eating, gun-shooting, tree-felling party today, Memorial Day. And isn't that just the most American party you could ever have?

The thing I like about the ice cream folks is their enthusiasm. Sure! They'll drive out to see your place, on their way to a movie in the opposite direction! Sure! They'll do this, do that, and relish it all. Kevin and I aren't like that, really. We need to be pushed to get out of the door. We need people like that around. Lots of energy!

So, anyway, the cabin is looking great. We even brought a generator so we could shopvac all the dead wasps. It's raining like all heck this morning, but it's supposed to clear up and be much cooler than yesterday. The plan is to clear a bunch of cedar trees from the wooded area (deemed "Butter Patch" by Stevie--the kid has a knack for names!), start a big ol' fire, shoot some guns, and BBQ some great steak and local chicken, asparagus, sweet potatoes, and veggie kabobs. The bread is about to go into the oven. Kevin is out getting Skintastic (downside: ticks), tools, and the lawnmower--we'll at least mow a path.

Kevin said that yesterday was the best day he'd had in a long time. And he spent the whole day weedwhacking and raking. So what does that tell you?

It should tell you that our commitment to fix up the land has kicked in, and yesterday felt like the first day in a long countdown to living out there permanently. It will be a haul. But visible progress can be made each time we go out and work, and that's satisfying.

I think you might be able to guess why I like Farm Town so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home