Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Sabotage Update

I've just been informed that at least one dear reader is awaiting an update on the secretary sabotage situation.

She has been at work this week. So, on Monday, I asked her about it. After asking about some work thing I said that I had to bring something up. I told her that two members of the board had heard from two different people that she had said that I was trying to force her out so that I could dissolve her position and get her money.

She denied it.

The look on her face could have been embarrassment at being caught and confronted (however gently). Or it could have been a dismayed 'what the hell am I saying on chemo brain?' kinda thing. She asked me, "Why do people do that? Why do people put words into our mouths?"

I said I figured it was nothing but, if she did feel that way, that this was the opportunity to clear it up. And then we went back to work.

Whether she said it or not, it's bound to be the last time.

But here's the kicker. During our short conversation I spilled the names of the board members who told me! I don't even remember doing it--I didn't have an 'oh, crap, shouldn't have said that' moment. I guess I thought that it didn't matter who told me because they had been the receivers of information as opposed to the spillers of it, and any reasonable person wouldn't kill the messengers, especially two who care about the Chamber.

The next day I heard from one of those board members--one I consider to be my confidante--and she wasn't very happy that I had given her name. (When I gave the two of them an email update of the situation I said that the secretary wondered who would say that to _____ and _____. She figured it out.) And I was flabbergasted because I didn't even remember saying their names and I obviously had not seen the problem in doing so. But the board member was worried that the secretary would now treat her differently.

I'm pretty sure it will come to nothing, but I felt like a right idiot! Here's a woman I have been confiding in for a year and yet, when she gives me a piece of sensitive information, I blab it to the one person who could be a real jackass about it. But this board member is so wonderful; she wasn't mad, and she came to me with her feelings about it right away. Still, I wonder if she'll trust me with certain things from now on. So I geeked out on that for awhile and still have that little grating feeling when I think about it. It's something most of us have done, which is why I'm sharing this uncomfortable episode. And to think that I'm pretty good about keeping secrets. Usually.

Anyway, I'm off to work now. Stevie has a friend coming over to spend the night so I'm definitely cutting out at 3 (still a 7 hour day) and coming home to make stromboli.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home