Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Leave of Absence

My secretary is gone now. We put her on a one-month, paid leave-of-absence with the full blessing of her family. She really went downhill mentally and was unable to complete even one task correctly. She could, however, get herself up, dressed, and to work. I guess when you do something for 25 years....

It all went down on Monday when her son told her the news. We had chamber backup ready to go, but we all thought it was best for her family to tell her instead of having board members show up at the chamber and ask her to go home. She did not take it well. Yesterday she got up and was fully planning on coming into work until her daughter, son, and son-in-law conspired to keep her at home. She got so pissed. Then she started slurring her words, her blood pressure zoomed, and she ended up in the hospital overnight. There is some kind of swelling happening and it's affecting her brain. Cancer, as my dear mother says, sucks.

Her doctor saw her and told her that she had no business being at work. That calmed her down considerably. But it looks like she won't be coming back.

So where does that leave me? Relieved that I can move forward. Sad that it had to happen like this. Overwhelmed with the sheer volume of tasks that need tackled. One of these days it's all going to be running smooth. We have new software and everything! But I haven't had a chance to take the 1-hour online how-to course let alone manipulate it. For now, I'm dealing with my own mess and someone else's monumental one.

I worked on the monthly newsletter today. Another 12-hour day, and the newsletter--with frequent interruptions from calls and visitors--took all of it. It's done, though! So I can tell you what I did at work today. That's good.

Tomorrow I'm off to the airport to decorate it. That's right. You know those big pictures of tourist attractions that grace the halls of airports everywhere? There's going to be one (or more) of Hometown in the nearby regional airport. At least I think. We'll see tomorrow, won't we?

Working for the weekend. Back to Hot Waffles to put in a gravel path (complete with log terrace steps), chop down a walnut tree that's about to fall over, mow, and contemplate the space for the outhouse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home