Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

No! No! Don't stop a rockin'!

If I really want to get my husband's attention--to actually make him STOP and TALK--I'll ask him a question about music.

The other day at lunch my colleagues and I were musing over which pop/rock star, alive or dead, we would choose to marry. Choices ranged from Franz Lizst--a total violation of the rules, but a total hottie--to Natalie Imbruglia (come ON Shirtless!), to John Lennon--a huge improvement over that person's first, unsure choice: Elvis. Yuck. As for Flip's choice, Eddie Vedder, I admit to rolling my eyes, but only because I don't like Pearl Jam, and he comes across as all "self-absorbed sincere." I realize now that I am, tragically, subconsciously, blaming Mr. Flip for all the loathsome Creedish singers that he inspired. In truth, he's a cool guy, very cute, and--the clincher for me--a supporter of Earth First!

I chose Beck, with Sting as a back-up, as all dear readers know. But I forgot someone! Someone who would be at the top of my list! A young Neil Young. Yum. And duh! I've only had a crush on him since I was, like, 5. And, if this same topic had been brought up 22 years ago, I would've answered Pete Townshend and ONLY Pete Townshend. And then I would have cried.

I was relating all of this to my husband this morning--you know, the guy who gets up at 5 AM but doesn't like to talk until, oh, around 1 in the afternoon? He STOPPED what he was doing and pondered. He agreed that the choices I offered on his behalf--Aretha Franklin and Liz Phair, were #2 and #3, respectively. But I had forgotten the woman both of us would marry, and his #1 choice--Lucinda Williams. (Come to think of it, I wonder if Lucinda, Ms. Unlucky-in-love herself, has ever met Neil, total rock god? Cute couple!) He also likes Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (oh, don't they all, those grunge boys.)

If we stood in front of our album collection for awhile, I'm sure there would be more. And I love the Golly's choices! I'm not surprised that Sven chose Joni, Joan, and Michelle, but Karen Carpenter? As for Gwen, Duane Allman I can see (I'm married to a little lost Allman), and Van Morrison's astral plane of romance rises above his so-so looks (who writes more romantic songs than Van Morrison? Here's a clue: Um, NO ONE). And Mick can certainly shake it, but he seems to shake it with a LOT of women, and James Brown apparently read the Ike Turner manual for marriage. Oh, Gwen, you deserve better!

Anyway, this is the kind of question that can spawn hours of thoughtful discussion between my actual husband and myself. Give it a try, reader! Let the world in on your secret rock-star crush!

Next up: Voices you would marry. Joe Cocker, anyone? Ha!
After that: Songs that make you want to marry (or "your songs", as long as it's not "Your Song" by Elton John, because that's kinda cutesy. But it could also be construed as irreverently cool, so just ignore me and my intimidating coolness).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home