Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Joy of Bills

It sounds insane, but there really is a joy to paying bills. When you have the money to cover them, anyway. Which, with the exception of a few dark, dark times, we have.

It's been awhile since I wrote a post on the state of our little but mighty union. What's the plan, Lulu? you might ask. Or not. We still plan on getting out to our land one day. Every time I see a horse I envision my two dappled grey Percheron draft horses pulling a Christmas sled through the countryside . . . . I wonder about what it will be like to pretty much completely change our lifestyle to one of a more homesteading nature. Will we have the guts and the commitment to really do it and do it right? What will we do for money? Teaching? Fancy segmented bowl making? Will our kids get any kind of decent education at the tiny podunk school? Will we be able to buy up our neighbor's land and be rid of them?

We have five more payments to go until that land is "ours" in the legal sense of the word. That's just $1,624.50. It's all I can do to distribute our money to the two credit card bills and the daycare and the other places. I want to just pay it and OWN IT.

But we have other bills to pay, and I mustn't put our finances in a pinch right before Christmas and little Marky Mark.

[2-6-06 This post severely edited for good reason. If you really want to read the rest, let me know. Lulu]

3 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Sorta warms the cockles of yer heart, don't it, to know that the filthy rich hate their lives. And what's a cockle? Never mind, I probably don't wanna know. But I hear you. Where I come from, they say having to sweat a little builds character. Like you, I should be oozing character by this time. About those other people, you know what Fitzgerald said: "The very rich are different from you and me," to which Hemingway replied, "Yeah, they have more money."

7:07 AM  
Blogger David said...

Only $1,700 to go? That's REALLY close. Congratulations.
But what is this about horses? I didn't know you owned horses also.

Are you sure you aren't rich?

7:11 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

His boss is a nice person--she adopts hard-to-adopt children and "saves" dogs from Petland--but then she sits back and lets other people take responsibility for making them responsible (tough to do) and gives them (the kids) too much money with no responsibility. I'm sensing a theme here. That theme is NO RESPONSIBILITY.

Eureka! That's it! When you have no responsibility for anything, be it raising children or working to pay your bills or even just working . . . when things just come and go with no consequences, there are no accomplishments! And, right there, I have found the core for the "This I Believe" essay that has been kicking around in my head for weeks now! And there's not an original thought to be found in it! Darn.

Thank you, Burb. I don't own horses. Not yet. When my best friend's boss and mother dies, I fully expect to have him come out to the land and take care of the horses that we will buy when we get out there. I've cleared this with him--he's cool with it.

I'm very sure that I'm not rich! But it's fun (most days) to scheme and plan about how we'll at least own a lot of land one day. That's all the monetary wealth I really need. I think.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home