Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mommy's Little Monster

According to the ultrasound doc, my baby weighs 6 lbs, 6 oz., placing him in the 95th percentile in size, about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, growth-wise, and on-track to be induced early.

Hooray!

Stevie was 11 days early and weighed 7 lbs., 5 oz. If he had stayed in those 11 days, he might have topped out at a little over 8 pounds. Little Marky, on the other hand, is projected to grow to 9 lbs., 6 oz. if he decides to stay until the official due date of December 12. (I was 9 lbs., 2 oz--pretty big for now, but really big for 1970. Sorry, Mom.) That's a pretty big baby to push out, and a huge size increase--about 30%!--in the course of 6 weeks. So far my belly has escaped intact--no stretch marks, no popped bellybutton--and I'd kinda like to keep it that way.

So I go in for another ultrasound in a couple of weeks and my OB and I will talk then about the possibility of induction. I was very hippy-dippy with Stevie and wanted everything all-natural. This time, I'm very willing to discuss an actual planned date complete with an epidural and anything else modern medicine can offer me for comfort. This has been a very uncomfortable third trimester and I'm due for some relief.

And, oh, by the way, Kevin and I have decided for sure that this is it. According to Kevin, two babies "is enough for any man". Poor thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

It's hard not to comment when the subject is offspring. I don't remember what his projected birthweight was, but Gven and I still have the ultrasound photo of little Jessi in utero. After a long, laborious delivery, he was 8 lb 8 oz and 21 inches, a long drink of water like he is today. His sister Helga never posed for the ultrasound portrait and insisted on a different delivery experience altogether, willing herself outa there in about two pushes and weighing in at an even 10 lb. And yes, we were all earthy and natural with minimal technological intervention, but we had a lot of trust in our midwife.

7:00 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

I had nurse-midwives to assist me. But Stevie's water broke before I went into active labor. We did everything to kick me into it, but it wasn't working and the risk of infection was growing. At that point (about 13-14 hours later) they started the Pitocin drip. It wasn't much fun!

I can honestly say that the only thing that scares me about 9+ pound babies is tearing. I avoided that the first time around, too. Oh, there's so many things to think about that I've been ignoring this time!

By the way, I love the phrase "a long/tall drink of water"--and the men who fit that description.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home