Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm in Control, My Worries are Few

Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew . . . I've got a new attitude! OH YEAH!!!

All right. That's enough of that. But I did want to inform you dear readers about the new attitude that I'm cultivating, the new attitude that will make work a breeze and my life just that much happier.

You see, lately I've been bitching about my job, feeling pretty low. It's mostly because I'm not the biggest fan of my boss. But then, who is? And mine, relatively, isn't all that bad--he just sticks out more because nearly everyone else is so nice and helpful and they stay out of my shit. Still, that coupled with the general malaise I feel about my daily tasks, well, I was even thinking of getting another job.

But I'm (mostly) done with all that! Oh I'm still thinking, ever thinking, of creative options to the corporate life, but 2 things keep me here:

1. I make a lot of money. For me. In fact, I made THREE times as much this year as last year, and the work isn't harder, though I do work more (most of the time). Because of this, it would be much harder to replace the money and the benefits and I should just shut up.

2. That's really it. I should just shut up and remember what a pain in the ass it is to start a new job and how there's no guarantee that I won't end up with a really bad boss doing something even more soulless. I miss teaching, but I would make a lot less and work a LOT more, if I could even get a job.

So I've decided to just buckle down and stay here, with my new improved attitude, until such time that Kevin and I move to Missouri and start our own monument company or whatever. And, if I'm going to stay, I might as well work harder so that I actually accomplish something and at least I'll feel good about that. So I am. Yesterday was my first day of this and it did feel pretty good! The boss comes back on Monday and, though I may strain, I will hold. I will hold.

In other news . . .

It occurred to me that I have let my money news slip. And it's financial details that separate the really good blog postings from the swill. Well, here's the deal. We have paid off our land! Yay! We have even paid off the thousands of dollars that we owed Kevin's parents for their loan that helped us buy the land in the first place. We have also paid off those pesky credit cards (again). We have zero credit card debt, save for the $10 for today's lunch. Our only debt now is the house, my student loan (still $18,000--ever $18,000), and Kevin's truck. The loan on Kevin's truck is one of those that doesn't pay to pay off early--there's no difference between the payoff (with the early payoff penalty) and the amount that we will pay if we continue to pay by the month.

We are also going to start a small college fund for both kids, which will be the same as but separate from the 529 their grandparents started. And I will have more of my income put into my 401K, and we will also start Roth IRAs for both of us, just to diversify and for the future self-employment that we both envision. And we bought--with cash--a sweet John Deere "garden tractor", which my brother got us a great deal on. So we're doing all right (knock on wood).

We're formulating a new "money goal" right now since the land and credit cards are taken care of. We will put a few thousand dollars into our current house to make it more sellable, and the rest will go towards our land in MO. The first thing I want to buy is a pond. The second is a well. I think it's smart to lay the groundwork for our house and try to buy as many things for it up front as possible in order to keep our mortgage as low as possible.

So that's about it. When I was complaining about "not enjoying my job" to my dad the other day, he said "Well, you DO enjoy your job. That trip that you just took with your family is proof." There might be little argument busters in there, but the fact remains that I DO enjoy being able to pay things off and save and build for the future and, right now, I have the job that helps me do that. I don't plan to stay here for a long time, and I don't HAVE to stay here for a long time, and finally I got it through my head that I should just sit back and enjoy my place in the working world. And that mental shit really works!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home