Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Submissions Wanted

As Kevin and I drove through Indiana last week on our way to Missouri, some Indiana driver did something dumb and out of my mouth popped "What a moron. Hoop-stuffin' hick."

This got me thinking. Thinking that the residents of each and every state in the Union needed a nickname. Something general, something that would encapsulate the stereotypes of the state, and of course, something derogative.

So far I've thought of two:

Indiana = Hoop-stuffin' hicks
Missouri = Catfish-eatin' sandbaggers

Just 48 to go! I ran these by Burb and he laughed, so there's promise. However, I need suggestions to really get me rolling. Like a haiku, you have to stick with the complex format--noun-verbin' almost-proper noun. Or you can think of something better. And Utah's has to have the word "naysayers" in it. Like "Caffeine-eschewing naysayers."

I can do better.

And we definitely need a culminating name for all Americans. "Ugly Americans" "The Great Satans" . . . those are good, but we need something fresh--something that follows the format.

Dying to do this, but having trouble coming up with the first one? Work on your home state first. Or a state you really dislike. For me, that would be Texas. Those gun-totin' egomaniacs.

I can do better.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

How about, for Utahns:

Jello-eatin' beekeepers.

It might carry a bit too much Mormon for the non-faithful, but isn't Jello the official food of the state, Mormon or no?

8:28 AM  
Blogger David said...

Based on my recent Arizona experiences, I'll submit:

Desert-lovin' McCainites.

I don't like it that much, especially the second half of the formula. What single noun describes Arizonians?

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home