Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pranks

The other night I pulled a 3-ft. long snake skin out from under my dryer. Eww. Was there really a snake living in my house? What kind of snake was it? Should I fear for my little children? Snake skins are gross.

I called Kevin and told him about it (he was still at work, late into the night). I wasn't scared, but I was a little heebie-jeebied because I have a fearless toddler and a lot of nest-y clothes in a laundry bin that he likes to push around.

Turns out that it was all a prank. My parents-in-law found it outside and curled it up on our porch steps before the brainstorm of stuffing it under the dryer came to them. Neither would fess up to that part. We were given this bit of information during the grand opening party yesterday so we had to be gracious.

This is no big deal to Kevin--he's a prankster and has been obnoxious like that in the past. But I'm a bit miffed. This is the second time that my in-laws have messed with my house--locking the doors was the first time, to teach Stevie a lesson. If you missed that story, the jist is that Stevie allegedly locked their garage door twice, so Bert thought it would be funny to lock all of our doors (before we had keys on our chains, but after we had the emergency key hidden in the barn) so we would yell at Stevie for something he didn't do and that would teach Stevie a lesson. All it proved was that it is a pain in the ass to try to get into a locked house without a key but with a squirming, cranky baby in one arm and a heavy bag of groceries in the other. Oh, and Stevie was pissed, too, when the plot was confessed.

Beth said that she opened the door while we were home and slipped the snake under the dryer. I read this as "I snuck into your house, or invaded your privacy, in order to play a rather mean-spirited prank on you. I know you don't deserve it, and once again, you are the primary person inconvenienced by it, but we are 10 years old and apparently not very clever and this is our house so deal with it."

How I long for my little house in the country where no one came to the door. Does anyone else out there have in-laws like these?

In a world of unlocked doors, I locked the doors this morning on my way out.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hmmm.

You know me. I love a good joke, but I try not to inflict damage on young children that don't know the difference.

Hang in there!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

hardy har-har, that's a real knee-slapper, dontchaknow. gee whiz, what a bunch of jokesters, and ya know there's no accounting for (bad) taste.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home