Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Typos

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not perfect. Occasionally, I will slip in a "there" when it should be a "their", and my grammar is well but not perfect. (ha.)

But what separates me from roughly 98% of the population of Hometown--a population that includes newspaper editors and teachers--is that I double-check my writing and catch those errors most of the time. My stint at Giant Publisher Co. helped keep my hawk eyes flexible and strong. However, I attribute most of my immense talent to, well, reading. And caring. And all those history papers I forced my students to write. Correctly. And in wanting to instill confidence in parents who want their children properly educated by making sure that everything I wrote that they might read is error-free. After a week of school and a couple of months of reading the local newspaper and many brochures aimed at tourists, I have no such confidence.

(Shania Twain is on the radio right now. I only listen to this station because it's local until 10 a.m. and they broadcast news about the school--early dismissal today because of the heat--and they play our ad. Shania Twain is HORRIBLE. Her voice is weak and whiny, and the songs are tripe! HORRIBLE TRIPE!)

Back to the post. Our first newspaper ad came out yesterday. Here's an excerpt:

Our Commitment to quality is carved in stone
546-555-773

Notice anything, comrades?

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Commitment with a Capital C is just reinforcement!

7:33 AM  
Blogger David said...

Also, leaving out punctuation means the job is never over. You'll always be available to help.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone knows a 555 phone number is a fake one from TV. plus, they usually have more digits.

3:14 PM  
Blogger David said...

I wonder why I'm still an editor.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home