Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lulu: Cattle Rancher

I was going to post some pictures of my cattle, Rose and Violet the beef-strain Red Polls, but I forgot to put the memory stick in my camera and all of my "Morning In America" photos vanished in the ether. Obviously, I'm not much of a farmer.

Anyhoo, Rose and Violet arrived two nights ago and quickly took a liking to their new, bigger-bully-cow-free water tub and feeding trough, their spacious, recycled-oak sided loafing shed, and their green, green, poop-free (for about 90 seconds) grass.

Providence has smiled on these little heifers, and they will probably get to live long beyond their "usefulness", meaning past their first couple of calves. Am I playing God? Yes. Yes I am. But it occurs to me that some cows deserve to just live, have some babies, and, one day, fall asleep on the grass and never get up.

Will I slaughter their male offspring?

Yes. Yes I will.

Sheep are next!

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Those cows are freakin' lucky!

I wish I had a loafing shed . . .

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home