Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sometimes I'm kind of a dumbass.

Take last night. I stayed up until 2:15 a.m. watching the first EIGHT shows of Season 3 of . . . Project Runway!

One of the best shows on TV.

And I drank about 2/3 of a bottle of deep red wine. On a school night!

Because my everyday wardrobe, including my sparse and weak "business casual" wardrobe that I thought I was done with forever, consists of cotton and flannel with an eye toward comfort and 'give', AND because I abhor our new national obsession with brand names and spending tons of money to buy ersatz status and the vapid question "who are you wearing?", you MIGHT think that I would find a REALITY show about aspiring and often OBNOXIOUS FASHION designers loathsome at best and an affront to all those who spend their lives trying to better the lives of others at worst.

You would be wrong.

I think I've gone on in the past about how much I like it, and Season 3 has been sitting in my Netflix queue before it even aired on TV. (I just looked down and saw a small hole in my light woolen sock with stripes that totally clash with my blue and red feathery earrings, AND a safety pin (!?) on the inside of my hem, a necessity when one buys cheaply made JC Penney suit pants. Horrifying!)

Anyhoo, I guess I should admit that I've always liked clothes. I used to put some thought into my decidedly grunge (today's "street") wardrobe. I just never had any money to buy the good stuff. Later, when I decided to use my money for food and rent and, still later, diapers, my mind hardened even further against the idea of using the tiny amount of money that I had (have) on really great pieces.

And then, when I grew out of the normal sizes, it was all over for me. I don't care what Lane Bryant says--there are still no fashionable clothes out there for fat girls. I hate capries, Ms. Bryant, and I will never, ever wear a hankerchief top in some hideous sheer paisley that 1. you have to buy ANOTHER shirt to wear underneath of, and 2. is really nothing more than a lame and uncreative poncho. Hate it! And I don't have fat girl boobs so the seams are always in the wrong place and when it comes to shopping I'm just really screwed. The best the zaftig can do is to stumble on a flattering pair of jeans every few years and buy a cheap classic in women's from Eddie Bauer.

Or lose weight.

As I write this, I know I've written about this before so I'll stop. But I must say that I love the challenges on the show, I love the creativity, I love the fact that those contestants can actually do things--hard things! Sewing well is a skill that takes a long while to master; to be able to top it by creating something brand new out of, say, recycling, or $100 worth of fabric for 3 pieces of clothing...that's something.

So I'm working with less than 5 hours of sleep and I have to put together an updated community calendar for the nearly worthless Hometown Women's Club meeting in 2 hours. This isn't a difficult task, but it is forcing me to work around it. Then I have to take minutes and give excellent suggestions at the Tourism Commission's budget meeting later this afternoon. Still not difficult, but, you know, today I'd rather be doing something else. (Sewing, anyone?)

I can only hope that a fresh batch of Project Runways is in the mailbox when I get home.

5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

So, is it your love of "PR" that indicates your dumbassery or is it the fact that you stayed up too late enjoying yourself? (You're a working mother/mom, so enjoying yourself is clearly NOT allowed.)

And nice use of "zaftig." Any fan of Tim Gunn/"PR" recognizes that!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the 2:15 a.m. Everyone is entitled to their indulgences, even Working Moms. I revel in mine.

Lulu

1:00 PM  
Blogger flipper said...

Don't beat yourself up, sweetie--everyone has to indulge sometimes. You certainly work hard enough, and you deserve it. Actually, I would say you were rather disciplined--I would never be able to leave 1/3 of a bottle of wine just sitting there!

I'm with you on the PR thing. I was late to jump on the bandwagon, but that show is extremely compelling. I absolutely adore Netflix, but there is a danger there--I have been completely unable to NOT watch an entire disc of TV shows at a time. (And I've gone through a LOT of them.)

Just curious--why do you have to post anonymously on your own blog?

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to post anonymously because my username and password are completely screwed up! I cannot update my account by changing my Hill email to my new one. Every time I try to sign in, it puts me through password hell, telling me that "that email is not valid." No duh. I've been to Google's extremely unsatisfactory Help station many times. Finally, I just gave up.

By the way, I drank 1/3 of the wine the evening before. Sure, I left the 2/3, but that seemed a bit much to finish right before bed.

Lulu

7:36 AM  
Blogger David said...

But according to "Lucille Bluth," wine (and vodka) go bad if you leave them out.

Also, since I have these comments subscribed to my Gmail account, I can see that Google's sponsored ads running beside this comment are about waterboarding, Ann Coulter, and Cheney impeachment. (No ads for well-aged Angus beef though.)

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home