Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A new post for the new year...awwww

Hi there. It's Wednesday, January 2, 2008, and I'm back in my schedule after nearly 2 weeks off. It's always difficult to accept The Schedule after that much time. I am much more productive when I have intrusions into my hours, when I must be at a given place at a given time. Still, I love getting up in the morning and being able to choose what to do with it from a long list of gratifying things (in between some housework now and then--and I'm getting much more adept at doing less housework and feeling just fine about it).

For instance, yesterday--the first holiday of the year. I woke up, made some eggs with salsa, black olives, and fresh cilantro (the latter two leftovers from the chicken enchilada dinner I had made the night before which proved a welcome departure from American Holiday Food). Marky loves eggs, and quickly figured out that black olives were much more satisfying when eaten off the tips of his tiny baby fingers.

After breakfast, we loafed for a bit. Kevin headed to work for a couple of hours and the boys and I headed across the driveway to hang out with Kevin's sister and her husband and their kids, who headed home to the scenic Northwest later that day. I was itching for Kevin to return so I could go outside and scoop poop in the pasture. After a couple of false positives, my mother-in-law said "Oh just go and scoop poop already!" meaning "It is fine to leave the boys in our care. Go and do what pleases you, my dear." I bundled up and headed outside in the frigid air to scoop frozen horse and cow shit into a wildly tippy plastic wheelbarrow and form a pile to use in my garden this spring.

And there's some new horseshit in the pasture as of Monday...because I finally got my horse! Beautiful Daisy has come to live with us. As a result, I took surprising pleasure in eliminating the little mountains of grassy turds from the front part of the pasture (where the animals tend to congregate), and forking up wet hay leftover from the ice storm, and otherwise tidying up and forming a nice hot pile of wicked good compost in a spot just over the south hill. Don't worry, dear reader--there's still plenty of manure on the pasture, and the natural cycle of ruminent herd = grass production, evolved over millions of years, will remain intact.

In between wheelbarrow loads, I hefted three bales of hay to the horse shed and cut off the strings so the animals can eat at will, filled all three water troughs, and brushed some of the mud off of Daisy. I spent over three hours in the pasture, in the cold, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I did other stuff over the holiday, but in the interest of keeping my posts somewhat shorter (shout out to Flip) and getting some work done, I'll close for the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger flipper said...

For the record, the lengths of your posts have been both inspirational and daunting--I wasn't complaining about them! It was just jealousy. I would actually much prefer you keep setting the bar high, as I enjoy your musings, however long. Great to see you last week, by the way! Keep thinking about February!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Nothing like mucking around in elemental stuff - earth, air, fire, water, poop - to make a person feel alive. Give that horse a pat on the hindquarter for me.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home