Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, February 08, 2008

The British Invasion, or "'Ello, gov-nah!"

As my faithful readers know, I was in charge of organizing a luncheon and Q&A session for three members of the UK Parliament and four young British political leaders who are visiting Missouri to learn more about our electoral process. And I gotta say...it was a smashing success! Really brilliant. Bully!

They stopped in Hometown on their way from St. Louis to Kansas City to talk politics with regular, small-town people--31 of them, invited by me (with a little help from my friends), representing a cross-section of the population (to the best of my ability). And they all came! The locals and the woman overseeing the Brits' travel plans got to tour the beautiful hotel where lunch was held (www.hotelfrederick.com) and were very impressed. And the Brits were really pleased to finally meet regular Americans instead of just highly-political, partisan leader-types. There was a lot of loud conversation and laughter, and the Brits commented several times about how warm, welcoming, friendly, and open Americans are. I sent them away with a travel bag filled with Hometown stuff--the MO Life issue featuring Hometown, the newspaper with the local Super Tuesday election results (McCain and Clinton carried the county), local chocolates, a notepad in the shape of MO, a little info packet about Hometown, etc. A good time was had by all! Really, it was a lovefest.

So, with that behind me, it's on to 1. working out a year-long job description for "my" intern, 2. planning the kid's events at the big Best of MO Life festival in May, and 3. all my usual crap. Oh, and that stupid questionnaire/albatross thing. Perhaps I'll get my intern to help....

A nice picture of our new British best friends can be found here (I hope):
http://myhopephoto.com/gallery2/v/Boonville+Mo/The+British+are+coming/IMG_6850.JPG.html

Cheerio, gov'nah!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:24 AM  
Blogger David said...

I'm glad it went well, wot?!

(Pip pip and all that rubbish.)

But now I reconsider your instant love of all things Harry Potter. Where you just cramming in preparation for the British Invasion?
(Or is that the Secret-Plan-That-Must-Not-Be-Named?

11:25 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

Do not reconsider, nor diminish my love of all things Potter. I am very angry with you now, Burb.

OK, not really!

Go to www.boonvilledailynews.com for a snippet of the article.

6:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

I'm glad that the article begins with a Revolutionary reference.

Live in the NOW!!!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home