Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Crestmead House



This home, a 16-room antebellum mansion in Pilot Grove, burned to the ground Monday night. No one was home at the time, but it's still a tragic loss of a piece of this county's history and a horrible personal loss for the family who has owned it since 1903. Gone are the family's antiques, photographs, and the original purchase documents. Gone is the type of home that only the super-wealthy can afford to build now (but usually don't); the type filled with massive newel posts and woodwork from big trees and stories of Confederate soldiers hiding out in the flues.

It was a plantation, complete with slave quarters, so some might say that it finally got its due. But the Cooper County Historical Society might fight you on that one, and I would, too. Missouri has lost an original, and no trip to Target can replace what was lost.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously these mansions are nice to see sometimes, but for how much longer might we see them? At least this one wasn't converted into a cheap apartment building, like the one I know in Findlay... Btw, did this one have a balcony too?

- Tyler

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lulu,

I totally felt the same way when thay closed Dayton's California Pizza Kitchen (go CPK!) at the mall... OMGZ TMTH !!!! (jk)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I didn't mean to make my comment seem so depressing. Hahaha - they do kind of look like a wedding cake!

-Tyler

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One last comment - while I'm sitting here and being fanatical about your blog. I'm curious to see another picture!

-Tyler

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog didn't have enough comments.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earlier I think my comments may have appeared insensitive to the actual tone of the article, which was serious news. Actually I agree with the points that this represented a loss to the community. Anyway it was all in good fun, but that depends on your interpretation.

- Tyler

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey get your story straight. I'm a secpnd generation neighbor of the Crestmead Family Home. The family was home but unable to get the fire extinguished.

They have salvaged a few important documents and a few antiques.

The neighbors have pulled together helping this family that not only lost their home, heritage and the community's historical landmark.

5:09 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

I know, I know--I found out later that the Mrs. was home and was injured, and that a few items were salvaged.

I was going to update, but time slips away. This is a blog--I'm not a reporter. I'm just a land neighbor (we own land nearby) who regrets this loss.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home