Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I never got to say goodbye....

Lulu's Life Lesson #5:

Never sell your vinyl records.

And if you do, catalog them first, so you can remember what you're missing, especially when you read "Listen to This!", a book wherein famous musicians recommend their favorite music, and you read Jerry Harrison's (of Talking Heads and Modern Lovers fame) list and realize how in sync you are with him and that two of his favorite records, Velvet Underground's "White Light/White Heat" and Can's "Ege Bamyasi", the latter of which was given to you by your first real (and unrequited) love who is now dead, are your favorites, too, and you only had them...

...on vinyl.

Now, Used Kids has them. Sure, you got $2,000 for your collection. But is it really enough?

You don't know, do you. And you get actual aching feelings that you've cheated yourself out of the experience of sitting on the floor with your teenage sons, the turntable reeling, teaching them about the music that helped shape your very self, on a format that the digital age largely rejected, and with those fabulous, big covers that were part of the whole...THING, man.

And, since there was no list, and no chance to pilfer a few treasures before the record store man came because you were on a stupid work trip, you find out what you're missing in little, painful, bits.

Seriously, it might be your only real regret in a life without regrets. The Butthole Surfers (I lost all of those that fateful day) say, "It's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done." This might be the one exception.

I know Kevin, I know--I'm being a baby. Time to load up that iPod.

2 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

I JUST read about a planned Can tribute album and Beck--BECK!--did a cover of "I'm So Green", which is definitely one of my TOP FIVE FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME.

Is this what rapture feels like???

To all my friends: I'm planning a CD of all my favorite songs. One of these days, I'll get it done, send y'all a copy, and you'll probably hate it (except Raisinette). Still, I think you should do the same. Your FAVORITE songs--the ones that move you, man.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

This is what blue is. Leaving all your records with a very good friend in the U.P., moving to another state, subsequently he moves downstate and becomes attached to your records, but that's cool, then losing touch after a few years with the friend and the records and the person you were back then.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home