Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, October 03, 2008

Sure, we both have vaginas. I still don't like Sarah Palin.

During two different sexual romps with my soon-to-become and then husband, one hardy sperm from each romp managed to make contact with the mothership, and I've taken the resulting pregnancies to their squawling conclusions. As a result of this biological-miracle-that-happens-thousands-of-times-each-day, I am A Mother.

Motherhood gave me some insight into just how much other people care about their children; into how much you can love another human being. I can see myself taking on a bear who was threatening my children, or launching myself in front of a train my toddler stumbled in front of. Their poop, snot, filthy fingernails, and greasy hair don't gross me out nearly as much as some random person's.

But give me a break. It is not a sisterhood. I'm not voting for her because she's a mom. And the fact that she self-identifies as a 'hockey mom' (shudder) actually makes me less likely to vote for her.

All good mothers care about their children. It's just that some of us care about other moms' children, too. Other moms' gay children, and tree-hugging children, and community organizing children. And it doesn't take being a mom to care about those children. I mean--DUH!

I don't relate to Sarah Palin, and her obnoxious little winks and smirks and attempts to be all folksy at the debate last night cemented my dislike of her--that and her complete inability to answer a question with even a tiny bit of substance to back it up. (No thanks to Gwen Ifill, who did a great job of throwing grapefruit after grapefruit at both candidates.) I disagree with her stance on gay marriage, on religion and its role in the government in general, on the war, on her current ability to do the job, on her medieval stance on abortion, on taking part in beauty contests, on the 2nd amendment, on her lack of curiosity and knowledge about how our country works and our country's history, on her disgusting slams on community organizers, on her highly political policy change on the bridge to nowhere, and I'm sure there will be more. Hopefully, after next month, I won't have to hear a lot out of her.

Back to Hockey and Soccer Moms. Who are these women? How many of these moms are there? Is this the only category of motherhood that matters? The whole category smacks of yet another overhyped political box that politicos try to target and win over with grossly simplified statements like "I'm a hockey mom! I know what it's like to worry about the grocery bill! Blah, blah blah." And professional reporters just sit there and let it happen and, worse, feed on that bullshit! And then I'm subjected to four women sitting on stools, being interviewed by a woman, discussing the veep debate and 'how women responded', and being told that women--especially moms--can really relate to Sarah Palin because...she's just like 'us'! Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Aww, c'mon, say it ain't so, Lulu. Didn'tcha learn any manners in yer sorority? It's all about being LIKEABLE, and it's not NICE to say negative things about NICE white people with the right hair and makeup, who know how to smile at the camera, dontchaknow. Keep that up and people won't LIKE you.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home