Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Friday, July 18, 2008

OK, it seems I freaked some of you out.

It's all OK. Really!

I DID get help from my husband with the sheep fence. I told him I was demoralized with the whole fence thing and I just needed him to do whatever to keep those sheep in. And a gal with no morals will do just about anything to get that kind of help.

He did! And a couple of the sheep still got out, but I put one back in (little Olive--and we both got shocked as I lifted her over the fence and her back hooves caught the tape!) and Kevin hassled Cotton so badly he decided that he'd rather be a good sheep AND STAY IN HIS ACRE AND EAT THE MANY, MANY VARIETIES OF GRASS AND OTHER GREEN THINGS THAT REQUIRE NO HUMAN MONEY OR TIME.

So...the sheep will not be eating any more expensive hibiscus. I'll replace the one, my m-i-l was very nice about it, and the farm stress level has gone way down.

Since I'm talking about animals already, I'll give you a brief update on the others. I haven't worked with Daisy at all, which will probably piss off her farrier but oh well. I sprayed fly repellant on the cows and wow! what a difference! That shit really works. The chickens might be my favorites. They are just so goofy and charming. I took the cutest pictures of them getting into their roosting tree. They make about a million head movements as they contemplate which level to jump to to get where they think they might want to go. They typically go to the same branches each night and the maneuvering is hilarious to watch. Almost hypnotic.

The kids are good. Last weekend I made an effort-that-was-really-easy to spend as much time with them (well, with Mark--Stevie likes to really chill out on the weekends) doing whatever it was they wanted to do. Mark wanted to build things with blocks. And play trains. And read books. And paint his toenails and fingernails with blue Sharpie. And walk on the garden wall. And lots of other things and it was a pleasure to hang out with him. The hideously-termed mommy guilt is catching up with me. I work a lot, and am required to attend meetings in the evenings, and it does occur to me that he and I are missing out on each other a little too much. I need to get through a few more months, get the culture down, and then present a plan for why I won't, as executive director, attend every evening meeting of every committee in this Chamber.

And that moves me into work. Our Silent Partner has taken over the paperwork at the shop. We spent about 12 harrowing hours last week trying to fix the books after 2 1/2 months of neglect. Now that they're 99% fixed, he can handle the invoicing and bills and all that crap on his 1-2 times per week visits. I'll still work on advertising and 'consulting'. I'll also be getting the revised web copy to our new webmaster so our cool new website can go LIVE!

After straddling the uncomfortable line between duties at the shop and commitment to my new jobs, I've fallen toward commitment to the new jobs. If I just tell myself "this is your work and you will be here awhile" it will really help. I'm almost there. I like this work--it's the other obligations in my life that bring on the stress. Must find balance. If I try and can't, I'll have to make a change. But I like what I'm doing, feel it's important, and people are starting to rely on me--on a regional basis, even! There's a lot going on with tourism and economic development in Hometown and the 12 or so counties that we are affiliated with, and I'm becoming quite the playah. Indispensible? Absolutely not. But definitely part of it and, if I leave, it will set things back at least until a good person is hired. So here I sit. Blogging.

Why am I blogging when there is so much to do? Because I don't have enough time to talk to all of you at once! (Great to hear from you, jon!) I need a place to spew.

Bottom line?
1. Get work hours under control and keep work at work.
3. Spend more time with my family.
4. Take advantage of creative opportunities to expand business at the shop.

That's it!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Lulu . . . doing the bull dance, feelin' the flow; working, working.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Just picturing the head movements of your comtemplative chickens ("to roost or not to roost...") has made my day a little brighter.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Waiting on Cloud 8 said...

Hi Darling.....wow! You have your work cut out for you.

I miss you. I know I have been the long lost friend, but I think of you often.

I am thinking about coming out your way soon. I can't possibly enter the state without a visit to my favorite fabric-loving friend.

Val

9:18 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

Hi Val!

It's so great to hear from you--and so strange! I was JUST thinking about you last night as I was moving my quilt fabric around. I thought, "I hope I haven't heard the last from Val."

You must come visit! Or, if not, at least write again!

Lulu

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home