Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Sometimes celebrities give everything, too

This post is a quick response to Burb's latest on www.whywontyougrow.blogspot.com, where he points out the ridiculous amounts of stuff that celebrities get at awards show. I feel you, man.

But go to the Oprah show web site and read about the delightful trick she played on her audience during her season premiere this week (www.oprah.com, click on "season premiere" and watch the first half of the video).

Spoiler alert: For those of you who just have to know NOW, here's what happened: She called 11 people to the stage, all of whom desperately needed a car, and gave them all a brand new car. And there was much rejoicing. Then she told the audience that she had one more car, the keys of which were in one of the boxes being passed out to everyone in the audience. When she told them to open their boxes, a great piercing scream filled the studio as everyone discovered that they had won a car. The other twist was that, supposedly, everyone in the audience was in some sort of financial distress and could actually use the car.

They all got GM sedans, and GM flipped the over $7 million bill. Of course, Oprah talked up the car and its laundry list of features, but what the hell? Even an anti-ad gal like me can appreciate the marketing genius behind this stunt: GM pays $7 million for the hearts of millions of women everywhere, the show gets international publicity (thanks to my blog), and a bunch of people who really needed cars got new cars (and the tax bill covered, too).

And by the way, I don't watch her show much (I'm never home at that time and I rarely watch TV), but I like Oprah. So there.



1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey Lulu:

Don't be a Burb hater and I won't hate Oprah!

Our little Blog Race is ultimately good for each of us and for all those fortunate few that read the stuff that we write! Everybody wins . . . and if I win just a little bit more, well great for me.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I need to point out that when I was having trouble with my blog template a few days ago, I reset things. This, I didn't realize at the time, deleted my site counter. Your remarks this morning made me realize the problem and I immediately began lamenting that I was going to fall behind.

Luckily I reestablished my account and my web counter. But in the process I discovered that (at least on my counter) I can arbitrarily set it to show whatever number I wish! To maintain accuracy, I swear that I set my hits number based on my last emailed report, so it is mostly accurate.

If you want to cheat, however, you might consider if your counter will allow you to blatantly lie in a similar manner.

FYI . . . only you and God will know the real truth!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home