Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Ohio Girl Makes Good

Last night, these folks were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

U2, The Pretenders, The O'Jays, Percy Sledge, Buddy Guy

How this whole thing relates, man:

The Pretenders, headed by the venerable (and fiery) Buckeye Chrissie Hynde, wrote the song "My City Was Gone" which relates nicely to Sven Golly's blog entry (www.istandcorrected.blogspot.com) about a CVS being erected on an ancient Indian burial . . . no, wait. Where there is now a church. Good luck, CVS! Here are the words:

I went back to Ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown
South Howard had disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
A, o, way to go Ohio

Well I went back to Ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home
I was stunned and amazed
My childhood memories
Slowly swirled past
Like the wind through the trees
A, o, oh way to go Ohio

I went back to Ohio
But my pretty countryside
Had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride
The farms of Ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And Muzak filled the air
From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls
Said, a, o, oh way to go Ohio

Further, the Pretenders were introduced by none other than my forgotten husband, NEIL YOUNG!

Finally, one article described Chrissie Hynde thusly:

"Ohio native Chrissie Hynde was a tough but tender role model for women" Ah, the old "strong yet vulnerable" bullshit rears it's great stupid bull head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sven Golly said...

Thanks for the plug, you strong yet sensitive, tough but tender, venerable and vulnerable blog-gurl. I might have to add Chrissie H. to my growing list of would-be wives.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home