Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Baby Name Madness!

Of course, it has begun. Boy names are pretty much done. Woody Guthrie is my #1 pick; Kev's is Keith Richard. Twin boys are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Easy!

Girls, on the other hand, not so easy. If we stick with the musician theme, Lucinda is the front runner. Ella is out--too popular now. Mavis was shot down today, rightly so. Aretha is a fave musician, but a tortuous name. I like many other female musicians, but can't name a child Chrissie or Tina or Bonnie. Rory Block is cool, but Kevin hates a guy named Rory, and Rory Mc-- is too tough to say.

I don't know of classic literary characters whose names I would choose. One of my cousins just took Scarlett, so that's out. Plus, there's no suitable shortened version of that name.

I like Finn. It was Winona Ryder's character's name in How to Make an American Quilt, a topic near and dear to me, and it's half of my favorite boy name, Huck Finn. Its popularity has grown, but it's certainly not threatening the Emilys and Katelyns and Madisons and Sydneys and Hannahs and Haileys and Emmas and Ellas (grrrr.). Check out the link below:
http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

What do YOU think, dear reader? What are some of your faves? It's preferable if they have some sort of link to the arts. If you're not having your own kid, have some fun trying to name mine!

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Names we didn't use for girls but considered once upon a time--Laura Anne, Kathleen Elizabeth.

Originally the primary name for a boy was going to be John Patrick, but that got supplanted by my new favorite boy's name . . . hey wait a minute, let me stop right here.

The idea that you would consider using my "sloppy-seconds" kid's names is ludicrous, since you wouldn't do that anyway and if you (or anyone) did, the memory of me would always haunt that child. Not good karma.

PLUS . . . in the ever-so-slight event that I cave and we consider having another child AND if that child is a boy, I have to hold onto my #1 boys name like NORAD workers hold onto their nuclear missile keys.

Musn't . . . give up . . . name!

(Anyway, hope that helped!)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sven Golly said...

Burb is right - and I sloppily second the motion - that you wouldn't want somebody else to pick the name of the next little McClary. The naming game was a big deal for us, and we burdened Abe and Zoe with more names than could fit on any drivers license or school transcript. With the result that Abe has renamed himself Jessi. A few that we considered but didn't choose: Mercy, Helena, Scotia, Delia, River, Arlo, Loudon.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home