Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Biomimicry and You

There is an interesting article/photo essay in today's Slate (www.slate.com) about biomimicry in engineering. In a nutshell, engineers are increasingly turning to nature to solve design and other engineering problems. Nature's designs aren't an answer to every pesky engineering issue, but engineers are having some success with, say, increasing gas mileage by designing cars that resemble a highly-aerodynamic fish. The Mercedes Boxfish looks pretty goofy, and they probably won't turn the concept car into a product line, but elements of the design might turn up in future vehicles.

This stuff is interesting to me. One thing that has never ceased to fascinate me is the patterns found in nature. The way that a tree resembles a lung and completes the same task; the way that leaf veins resemble animal veins . . . and complete the same task . . . and how both resemble a river's drainage system. . . . On and on. Aristotle said, "If one way be better than another, that you may be sure is Nature's way." I pretty much wholeheartedly agree (maybe 94.8%).

What is it about nature that moves me so? Why is it the pinnacle of beauty to me? To many? Why is it NOT to so many others? Is it innate? Is it learned? Is it a result of really awesome drug-fueled hallucinations and the resulting "imprinting"?

I know I've written about this before but, apparently, the rest of the world is finally catching up with my vision. These are wonderful times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home